History

Tipp City's first bucket brigade was

Organized In 1872


Tipp City’s first bucket brigade was organized in 1872, consisting of fifty leather buckets, six hooks and ladders and six fire extinguishers. Two years later, in 1874, after several disastrous fires, a fully organized department was formed, equipment purchased and plans for an engine house made ( the old City Building at Third and Main Street). Charles Trupp was appointed first Fire Chief. The council required that “All enrolled members of the department must be sober and industrious men, and have an interest in the village.”

August of 1916, Council authorized the purchase of a motorized truck and a two wheeler trailer (Model T Ford) to transport equipment and men. Not to many men could ride due to the lack of room and horsepower of the truck. In 1935, a Mack 500 G.P.M. pumper was bought for $6,242.00. Tipp City Fire Department still maintains this truck for parades and funerals.

City Council adopted the city’s first Fire Code in 1954

City Council adopted the city’s first Fire Code in 1954 covering conditions hazardous to life and property from fire and explosion. A new fire station was built in 1955 on the west side of the railroad tracks to prevent trains from stopping fire trucks from reaching fires on the west side of the city. The fire house cost $13,716.51 plus electrical wiring. In 1958 a new fire house was built behind the old city building on North Third Street. It cost $14,500.00 plus wiring and heating.

In 1963, the City Council awarded a contract for a Chevrolet station wagon that could be used as an ambulance in case of an emergency. It cost $2,434.41 and is still maintained by the department. The West Side Station was enlarged in 1976 to allow for the purchase of new fire trucks including a 75 foot aerial truck. The truck cost $151,900.00 and is still in service today.

The Fire Department has continued to upgrade equipment & fire trucks

The last three fire engines were purchased in 1997, 2002 and 2004. In 2005, this new equipment and improved water system enabled the Fire Department to lower (improve) its fire rating (ISO) in the city to a four. This places The Tipp City Fire Department in the top 11% of all graded fire departments in the United States. The Department’s primary area of fire protection is Tipp City and Monroe Township. The Department continually strives to provide the best fire protection possible.

Upcoming Events


Restoration Board

Jun 27, 2017 | 260 S Garber Drive
7:30 PM at the Tipp City Government Center     The Restoration Board meeting is held on the fourth Tuesday each month.

Independence Day

Jul 4, 2017 | 260 S. Garber Drive
City offices closed in observance of Independence Day

Parks Board

Jul 10, 2017 | 260 S. Garber Drive
The Parks Board meets at 7PM on the second Monday of odd months.  Meetings are held at the Tipp City Government Center, 260 S. Garber Drive, Tipp City, OH, 45371

City Council

Jul 17, 2017 | 260 S. Garber Drive
City Council Meetings begin at 7:30PM and are held at the Tipp City Government Center 260 S. Garber Drive Tipp City, OH 45371